Beyoncé's catharsis is our catharsis

I've watched and listened to 'Lemonade'... And I gotta say I'm pretty blown away. Beyoncé has always been great company music-wise, from the perfectly produced and slightly sugary beginnings with Destiny's Child to her soulful, explorative, edgier solo work. 

But Lemonade goes beyond. It is not beautiful or indulgent, there is nothing forgiving or conforming here. It is expressive, charged and barrier-breaking - personally, artistically, genre-wise... It is multi-layered, naked and extremely rich all at the same time. Likewise, the film accompanying the music - or is it the other way around, it doesn't matter - is haunting as hell.

Jay Z must be crawling on his hands and knees into the nearest hiding place in utter shame, however, Beyonce's chronicle not only seizes him there on the deepest personal level, it reaches out for a much higher, universal story - a purging of passion and pain that hurts and liberates. Her catharsis is our catharsis.

There are days and days of discovery here - the discovery that she's put into the music and the discovery that we as listeners can make. Ouch!

I am not broken, I'm not crying, I'm not crying
You ain't trying hard enough
You ain't loving hard enough
You don't love me deep enough
We not reaching feats enough
Blindly in love, I fucks with you
'Til I realize, I'm just too much for you
I'm just too much for you.


(From Don't Hurt Yourself)